We’ve all been there--ready to make a playlist for an event or crafting song-options for our big shindigs. We enlist the help of friends and family wondering “Where are the jams? I know I know some...but what are they? Where are they?” Then it happens: we look online for soulful options only to find they are far and few. This June we introduce #ForTheCulture playlists: a thematic list of our top 10 favorite flavorful songs. We believe they’ll not only fit the bill for your dance needs, but provide relative song options for your big day.
This week’s theme: The First Dance!
We can all appreciate a great love song that captures the mood of our romance. For some of us, it’s an old-time classic; for others it’s an up-tempo bop. Whatever your preference we’re sure our Top 10 First Dance Songs has something to make you smile and think of your beloved. View the list below and be sure to tell us which songs made your personal playlist on @DetailedDaysEventDesign Instagram using #ForTheCulture. Can’t wait to hear from you! Enjoy!!
Disclaimer: We do not own the rights to any songs posted or any videos shared.
1) “This Is Why I Love You” by Major. This beautiful ballad will make your guests eyes swell with tears as they enjoy the two of you swaying to lyrics of an undying love:
2) "If I Have My Way” by Chrisette Michele. Chrisette Michele knows how to take a feeling and make it an all-time beautiful song!
3) “Best Part” by H.E.R ft. Daniel Caesar. THIS. IS. OUR. JAM!!! If you haven’t heard this tune on your local radio station, call them and ask them why they’re denying themselves a great thing!
4) “My Piece” by Miguel. This song right here is for the ride or die lovers. This up-tempo bop is sure to start your party off right!
5) “Ribbon In The Sky” by Stevie wonder. Are you and your soon-to-be more traditional loves? If so, this classic by the incomparable Stevie Wonder is a no-brainer.
6) “Couple Of Forevers” by Chrisette Michele. Oh, y’all part of the new classic crew? No problem! This song transcends generations and will surely give that fresh-forever flavor, just like you two do!
7) “Get You” by Daniel Caesar ft. Kali Uchis. 1) If you haven’t listened to his album Freudian, do so ASAP; and 2) “Get You” is a song that will put you in a mood. Just...be prepared.
8) “Lately” by Tyrese. If a warm and smooth Hot Toddy was a love-song, it would be “Lately”. Does this song make anyone else think of Coca-Cola commercial Tyrese? #AllTheFeels #ImmediateMood mmmmm!
9) “Sure Thing” by Miguel. This song is for the couple whose relationship is a mix of closer-than-close best friends and lovers. If you envision your first dance as a get live two-step, this is the song for you!
10) “Cruisin’” by Smokey Robinson or D’Angelo. Here we offer a 2-for-1! Whatever your stride, either rendition of this love classic will be the best first dance bop!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlzY6cWpoMQ or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uxeft-dnQs
Stay tuned for the next week’s list: The Mother and Son dance!
This blog content was written by Davia Crutchfield (@Dr.DaviaJnl) of BL&CK (@visitandblack).
Hey hey, I'm Brittney! Wife, mother, ministry leader, designer. HGTV and Say Yes to the Dress fanatic. :) JoAnna Gaines, if you're reading this … hey girl! I love all things fashion, wedding, and home décor.