You know, no matter how much we struggled during the pandemic it gave us some pretty cool takeaways and showed us some pretty different ways to do life. One of my favorites was the rise of the micro wedding out of an abundance of caution by couples. A micro wedding has all of the same elements as a traditional wedding. There's a beautiful venue, food, cake, photographer, and of course décor! It provides a more intimate setting where the guest count is pretty small (less than 20) but the impact is still BIG.
It isn't a new concept, we just needed them in 2020 more than ever. We had the amazing opportunity to design an all white micro wedding for Elise + Brandon in their home. Their living room and kitchen were turned into the most beautiful spaces to host their nuptials because ... well, there's no place like home. Is this making you curious? Take a look.
Having a hard time believing this is their living room and kitchen, well they had a hard time too. They loved every bit of the transformation and didn't want to let us take it down. Custom wedding floor, round ceremony arch full of lush florals, luxury chairs, draped in all white, the whole nine. I'd keep it forever too. It felt surreal.
Ok, are you ready to see what it looked like before?
Insane, right? Would you want to do something like this for your wedding? I have an idea pin to give you specific instructions on how to make this work in your own home. See it here: https://pin.it/1f1Sjq8. Have questions? Leave them in the comments for me! Let's chat.
Photographer: Dorese Jenae Portraits
Planning, floral, wedding design: Detailed Days Event Design
Catering: Curtis Custom Cuisine
Hair: Nigel's Gifted Hands
You know, I wish I could tell you that wedding planning will be a breeze. I wish I could tell you that everything will be PERFECT and go just as planned. I wish I could tell you that it’s actually not that much work or that it’s not that costly, but I can’t. It is both challenging and costly.
I am here however to give you some practical advice on navigating the planning process and to clear up your misconceptions and maybe some unrealistic fairytale expectations. So here we go!
11. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT plan to do 1.5 million things the day before your wedding! You have NEVER in your life experienced the time moving as fast as it will the day before and the day of your wedding. Get it all done earlier! Hair - sure, nails - sure, but you should not be making bouquets, running a bunch of errands, dropping this off, picking that up, etc. just don’t do it.
Moral of my story will always be to hire an experienced and quality wedding planner (and team of vendors) to make sure you don’t have to do more work than necessary.
Watch the playback of my Facebook live video as I talk to brides and answer questions about planning weddings.
Questions about planning? Questions about weddings or events? Drop them in the comments and I’ll be sure to help you through it.
Now THIS is how we start the year!Let’s face it ... we’re all glad that 2020 is behind us. 2021 is long anticipated and so far, she’s doing good. We did get something we needed in the last weeks.
Every year - around the beginning of December - designers everywhere are on pins and needles. We’re waiting to hear from the powers to be 👀 PANTONE. I’ll tell you why!
But who is Pantone? 🤷🏽♀️
They’re the color matching Gods. They are the worldwide standard for color communication and inspiration... since 1963.
So what did they decide now? 🤔
Since 2000, the Pantone Color Institute has declared a particular color "Color of the Year". Twice a year the company hosts, in a European capital, a secret meeting of representatives from various nations' color standards groups. After two days of presentations and debate, they choose a color for the following year; for example, the color for summer 2013 was chosen in London in the spring of 2012.
So you can understand why we live for this stuff and you should too! It determines fashion and décor trends, influences everything from those wedding colors to those new couch pillow colors. Well, they have declared the color(s) for the year!!! Ok, ok, are you itching to know what they are? 👀
Illuminating Yellow + Ultimate Gray
A marriage of color conveying a message of strength and hopefulness that is both enduring and uplifting.
These two independent colors that come together to create an aspirational color pairing, conjoining deeper feelings of thoughtfulness with the optimistic promise of a sunshine filled day.
#Pantone #Pantone2021 #coloroftheyear
Bomb right? We used this color palette last year for a baby shower and in case you missed it on social media - 1. fix your life and follow us @detaileddayseventdesign and 2. well of course I'll show you!
It was so good 💛✨. Leave me a comment below and let me know what you think! Do you like this color combo for the year? Do you like this spin on the Bumble Bee themed baby shower?
Until next time ✌🏾!
This year was a lot different for Christmas of course as Covid has put a damper on so many holiday celebrations. When we were asked to do this holiday celebration for our client, Christmas felt real again. Gatherings felt within reach.
We SAFELY brought 8 women together and sat them down at a gorgeous table, with gorgeous table settings, we fed them an incredibly tasty dinner and a BOMB dessert trio. They talked, they laughed good and loud, they appreciated their time together.
Their compliments and ours to chef Curtis Robinson of Curtis’s Custom Cuisine and baker Jimina Whittle of Southern Treats Sweetery.
Let’s get into these details!
We debuted our new inventory with this the party and they made a statement! Did you meet our new Alexa chair? 👀 isn’t she gorgeous! The first of her kind in the Cincinnati market.
We also love this gorgeous wine glass charm from Voxel Prints. They come in 14 different colors and make a great conversation piece. The guests also got to take it home and can use them at any gathering they go to. What a way to make sure you’re always drinking out of your glass.
Find your own here:
So happy these ladies enjoyed every second of their celebration! Were you able to spend your holidays with any family or friends? Let’s chat in the comments. I want to hear about how you’re doing.
Food - Curtis’s Custom Cuisine
Dessert - Southern Treats Sweetery
Balloons - M. Renee Events
Planning + Design - Detailed Days Event Design
Wine glass charms - Voxel Prints
Let’s face it, COVID-19 has rocked our world in ways we could not have imagined. No one saw this coming! We are all uncomfortable and inconvenienced on every side with no end in sight. We just want it to be over.
In March 2020, production in the wedding and event industry came to a screeching halt as quarantine, to help curb the spread of the pandemic, caused cancellations and rescheduled events everywhere. Brides were devastated, birthday girls and guys sad to ring in their new year locked down, our elderly became lonelier, and kids were anxious to be free. For 3 months, 12 whole weeks we were stalled.
Once we were able to come back up for air - the world of events looked dramatically different. No buffet or bar lines, no dancing, no dessert bar spreads, no sharing goods or close space really. There were new regulations on what we could and could not do on all sides. Now that we’ve almost adjusted - I want to shed some light on ways to get through the planning - hopefully a little easier.
Here we go:
1. Check your state requirements for maximum number of people gathering. It may cause you to have to cut the guest list. Here in Ohio we have a maximum of 300 guests.
2. Also check your venue’s requirements for maximum number of people gathering. With the new state regulations and the rules for tables themselves to be 6 ft. apart, most venues cannot accommodate the amount of guests they once could. Unfortunately, this may also require you to cut your guest list even more.
3. Masks are the new party favors! Seriously, guests love them. Keep everyone safe, cute, and coordinated by ordering masks and having them personalized with your wedding hashtag.
Find them in bulk here:
4. Have your hostesses take temperatures at the door. Order a couple touch less thermometers and keep them up front. Make sure all of your guests have a regular temperature before allowing them to enter since that’s one of the signs that they may not be feeling well. This thermometer give you a red indicator if a fever is detected.
No touch thermometer here:
5. Hand sanitizer! No brainer.
Find it here:
6. Even if you have to put just 6 guests at a table, assign seats to families. Put your guests with people they have been around consistently throughout this thing so that they are comfortable throughout the night and there’s a lower risk of new germs being spread.
And seating charts like this are SUPER cute, so why not? I had a lot of fun making this thing for a friend’s wedding in 2018.
7. Individually packed desserts are the way to go! We have been making it through the cake cutting and serving process a lot easier with just “cutting” it out altogether. My good friend Jimina of Southern Treats Sweetery has been incredible for our weddings and has individually packed cupcakes into clear boxes for guests.
YES! The couple still has their dream wedding cake but guess what? It’s a dummy cake! That’s right. It’s not real. She carves out space though so you can still cut your cake on your big day and share it with your husband. But that’s so much less cake to cut and serve.
Pssst. A lot of the Pinterest perfect cakes you see are not real. There, I said it! It’s totally fine to do.
That’s right! They can look like this! And give your guests this:
8. Tag everyone’s glasses with a nice tag so no one gets them mixed up. This may also be a trend long after Rona’s gone!
These acrylic glass charms from @Voxel Prints are the perfect touch. They are gorgeous and durable!!! What a cute party favor too, right? Your guests will thank you for introducing them to their new favorite thing. There will definitely be some pinkies up with these fancy things 😍.
Find them here:
9. Going virtual for your bridal shower or even your wedding has never been easier! With platforms like Evite, Punchbowl, and even Facebook for invitations, video conferencing platforms like Zoom, and Amazon where you can make a wish list/registry and your guests can order from the comfort of home and ship their gifts to your front door.
The live unboxing is still fun!
10. Have any events that you can outside instead of inside. It lessens the chance of the spread. And outdoor events are still gorgeous when you choose the right backdrop.
Inspiration photo from Ruffled Blog.
I hope these planning tips gave you a few ideas for your own COVID wedding! If you still have questions leave them in the comments and we’ll chat with you - giving the best advice we can from our years of wedding planning experience.
Follow me on Pinterest for more wedding + design inspiration ✨.
Love, strength, faith, SURVIVAL. Kym and Gerald are the definition of a power couple!
Who would have thought when they first met that they would be standing by each others’ side as they both battled cancer. Separate times but always together. Through the many doctor visits, sleepless nights, and times of questioning life, they continue to support each other through better and worse, through sickness and health. This is only the beginning!
They married October 20, 2019 in Cincinnati, Ohio. Their wedding was dreamy and more than they expected with us. We loved seeing them smile from ear to ear and the tears of joy that ensued were priceless.
And the video that has gone viral and taken Pinterest by storm.
Their wedding catapulted is into a new season of wedding extraness and we are HERE FOR IT!!!! For sure.
Leave a comment and tell us what your fave part of this one is!
Vendor love ♥️
Photographer: Forever Faith Photography
Coordinator: Kendrea Williams
DJ: “DJ Ready” Wayne Brown
Design: Detailed Days Event Design
Caterer: Vonderhaars Catering
Cake: The Bon Bonerie Bakery
Venue: Colerain Township Community Center
You guys, I’m back! Phew … WEDDING season 2019 is a wrap for us. We are all in recovery! Hehehe. I want to share some of what we’ve been up to with you guys.
Last summer, I was looking for things to do in the area with my kids while they were out of school and I stumbled across Everybody’s treehouse in Mt. Airy Forest and fell IN. LOVE. It’s gorgeous! I knew right then that I wanted to do a styled shoot there. What kind? I didn’t know at that point, but oh it was going to be spectacular!
Fast forward to summer ‘19 - one year later and a light bulb 💡 went off. A date night in the treehouse! How romantical (I may or may not be a huge Little Rascals fan) ! I reached out to a friend who I knew would be proposing soon, gave him my wild idea about date night, he entertained me, here we are.
Meet Andrèa and Andre. Yes, they have the same name. I know! Meant to be or meant to be? I want to let them tell you their love story. You’ll understand just how amazing it all is once you watch it and fall in love with their love.
The sweetest, right?? 😭 she still had no idea at this time. Once we formulated a plan, I asked Andrèa if her and Andre would like to be models for my styled shoot. I told her that I was working with local photographers (shout out to Pixxel Designs) to highlight young couples on date night and that they’d be one. They did this video specifically for you guys, my audience. I told her I was interviewing for the blog write up - which obviously was totally true!
She showed up thinking that all of the couples would be there at one time. Instead, she was greeted by the amazing team of my staff + vendors working hard behind the scenes to pull this thing off. It was all about them that night.
A chef served them dinner first, they took photos, desserts made by a baking queen, more photos, and then bam. SHE SAID YES! How could you not? It was so magical!
The videographer captured the most amazing footage of the whole thing.Here's the full film from Moore Visuals.
"Do you remember the 21st night of September?
Love was changing the mind of pretenders
While chasing the clouds away.
Our hearts were ringing in the key that our souls were singing.
As we danced in the night, remember
How the stars stole the night away." - Earth, Wind & Fire
Needless to say, it was an amazing time! She enjoyed every moment of the experience and loves her new bling. She also didn’t know that he invited a few of her friends and family and they were right behind her listening to his every word, watching them hold each other. Once he told her to turn around ... we cued up screams some more of the most heartwarming ugly cry! We took her on a ride to get her to this point and it was worth it. I cannot get over it. We are STILL swooning. 😍 HOLIDAY 2019 up next!
Thank you to thee most AMAZINGLY LIT 🔥 vendor team:
Day of Styling Assistant: @nichebynikki
Vintage rentals: @collectivecharmrentals
Letter rentals: @impresspartyrentalsllc
Videographer: Moore Visuals
Date night dinner: @curtis_custom_cuisine
Date night desserts: @southernsweetery
Velvet boxes: @thevelvetgardenringbox
To conclude our #ForTheCulture playlist we dug DEEP into the musical archives for the Mother/Son dance. Yes, it’s true: Boyz II Men’s “A Song For Mama” is as classic as the Soul Food Soundtrack it’s featured on. In addition, we have other cuts to choose from. That’s right...WE HAVE OPTIONS!
Whether it’s a son to his mother, God to us, or a mother to her son dedication, this #MotherSonDance playlist is sure to make your intergenerational guests gush as the Groom and Mother-of-the-Groom take to the dance floor.
Remember: We LOVE to hear from you! Be sure tell us which songs made your personal playlist on @DetailedDaysEventDesign’s Instagram using #ForTheCulture.
Disclaimer: We do not own the rights to any songs posted or any videos shared.
1) “A Song For Mama” by Boyz II Men. We understand this song brings tears to eyes and flashbacks to the first time you watched Soul Food, the movie. Yes, you may think of Big Mama, Cousin Faith, and Michael Beach’s character, Miles, singing alongside the group Milestone on stage. This ditty, however, is highly regarded for many reasons and will forever be “food to [our] souls”!
2) “Dear Mama” by Tupac. Our beloved brother, Tupac Amaru Shakur, left us with a range of hits. Within his catalog was this mother-love anthem which proclaims adoration and appreciation over a live beat.
3) “A Mother’s Love” by Kem. We best describe this song a “honey to the ears”; it is smooth and sweet!
4) “Thank You” by Boyz II Men. Yup! They made more than one song befitting such a moment. This song doesn’t shoutout mama personally, but the hype beat and lyrics are so astute when recognizing a mother’s devotion.
5) “Three Times A Lady” by the Commodores. This classic remains undefeated as a mother/son dance heavy-hitter. Many of us love this song as much as we love the Commodores.
6) “Mom” by Earth Wind & Fire. You can’t go wrong with The Elements, especially if you are a fan of powerful instrumentation, vocals, and lyrics!
7) “God Is So Amazing” by Will Downing. What better way to summarize parental love than a song about how God loves us?
8) “You’re The Best Thing Yet” by Anita Baker. We often think of songs that are expressions of a son’s love to his mother. Sometimes, mothers want the opportunity to publicly love on their children. The lyrics to this song can do just that!
9) “To Zion” by Lauryn Hill. In short, this is an ode to the real life, real love, and a real deal sometimes unexpected revelation of motherhood.
10) “You Are My Friend” by Patti LaBelle. It is a beautiful thing when a parent-child relationship transforms into one of pure adoration and friendship. We think this song wonderfully speaks to that evolution.
This blog content was written by Davia Crutchfield (@Dr.DaviaJnl) of BL&CK (@visitandblack).
On the heels of Father’s Day it is only befitting we continue our #ForTheCulture series with the beloved Father/Daughter Dance song list. The precious relationship fathers and father figures have with their daughters and daughter figures is unlike any other bond. We salute Dads who cherish their daughters’ hearts by being the stand up, stand out men they are. This Father’s Day and every day we say “Thank you and we love you!”
Disclaimer: We do not own the rights to any songs posted or any videos shared.
1. “Your Joy” by Chrisette Michele. Warning: this song is a tear-jerker! We all know how Chrisette Michele has a way of bringing you to chorus (shout out to Ms. Funky Dineva Ross). “Nevatheless!” This song right here will have the room in their feelings so have tissue boxes nearby.
2. “Daddy” by Beyoncé. Queen Beyoncé’s lyrical stroll down memory lane, and adoration for her father is as delightful as the song’s melody.
3. “Hero” by Mariah Carey. It happened didn’t it? You read the title and immediately sung the song in your head? You’re in good company *raises hand*. This is one of those songs where you automatically close your eyes and sing aloud. MMMPH! That’s good right there!
4. “Isn’t She Lovely” by Stevie Wonder. GET. YOUR. TWO-STEP. ON with this timeless jam! If you and your Dad love a good hand-dance, line-dance, or choreographed number, this is the song to pick!
5. “Joy” by BLACKstreet. I’m going back to the 90’s…want anything? BLACKstreet sung one of the most beautiful songs about the transformative power of love. Then, as if that wasn’t enough, these gents topped it off with their daughters in the video! MAGICAL!
6. “I’ll Be There” by The Jackson 5. Little girls grow into women. As we transition into this space it never negates a daughter’s need for her father. Yes, we grow, becoming adults ourselves. In that, we still need our Dads. These lyrics are so applicable as we hope our fathers stay near by as we transition through the many phases in life. It makes us glad to know that if life becomes too heavy and the road unpredictable our fathers’ love, guidance and protection are not far away.
7. "You Are the Sunshine of My Life" by Stevie Wonder. Similarly to the Jackson 5 song, this one gives “growing up or transitioned relationship” vibes. It’s sweet. It’s sincere. It’s layered. It’s Stevie Wonder!
8. "My Girl" by The Temptations. An all-star Father/Daughter Dance song, “My Girl” raises more than thoughts of Vada Sultenfuss, her mood ring and Thomas J.
We conclude this list with two duets. These two songs respectively stand the test of time as iconic melodies, and instant nostalgia. Our #9 and #10:
9. “Unforgettable” by Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole.
10. “Wind Beneath My Wings” by Eddie & Gerald LeVert.
Be sure to tell us how you’ve enjoyed this series on the @DetailedDaysEventDesign’s Instagram page using #ForTheCulture. Don’t forget to leave your favorite songs from the list! Stay tuned for next week’s list ... you guessed it - the best Mother/Son dance songs.
This blog content was written by Davia Crutchfield (@Dr.DaviaJnl) of BL&CK (@visitandblack).
Hey hey, I'm Brittney! Wife, mother, and wedding designer. HGTV and Say Yes to the Dress fanatic. :) JoAnna Gaines, if you're reading this … hey girl! I love all things fashion, wedding, and home décor.