To conclude our #ForTheCulture playlist we dug DEEP into the musical archives for the Mother/Son dance. Yes, it’s true: Boyz II Men’s “A Song For Mama” is as classic as the Soul Food Soundtrack it’s featured on. In addition, we have other cuts to choose from. That’s right...WE HAVE OPTIONS!
Whether it’s a son to his mother, God to us, or a mother to her son dedication, this #MotherSonDance playlist is sure to make your intergenerational guests gush as the Groom and Mother-of-the-Groom take to the dance floor.
Remember: We LOVE to hear from you! Be sure tell us which songs made your personal playlist on @DetailedDaysEventDesign’s Instagram using #ForTheCulture.
Disclaimer: We do not own the rights to any songs posted or any videos shared.
1) “A Song For Mama” by Boyz II Men. We understand this song brings tears to eyes and flashbacks to the first time you watched Soul Food, the movie. Yes, you may think of Big Mama, Cousin Faith, and Michael Beach’s character, Miles, singing alongside the group Milestone on stage. This ditty, however, is highly regarded for many reasons and will forever be “food to [our] souls”!
2) “Dear Mama” by Tupac. Our beloved brother, Tupac Amaru Shakur, left us with a range of hits. Within his catalog was this mother-love anthem which proclaims adoration and appreciation over a live beat.
3) “A Mother’s Love” by Kem. We best describe this song a “honey to the ears”; it is smooth and sweet!
4) “Thank You” by Boyz II Men. Yup! They made more than one song befitting such a moment. This song doesn’t shoutout mama personally, but the hype beat and lyrics are so astute when recognizing a mother’s devotion.
5) “Three Times A Lady” by the Commodores. This classic remains undefeated as a mother/son dance heavy-hitter. Many of us love this song as much as we love the Commodores.
6) “Mom” by Earth Wind & Fire. You can’t go wrong with The Elements, especially if you are a fan of powerful instrumentation, vocals, and lyrics!
7) “God Is So Amazing” by Will Downing. What better way to summarize parental love than a song about how God loves us?
8) “You’re The Best Thing Yet” by Anita Baker. We often think of songs that are expressions of a son’s love to his mother. Sometimes, mothers want the opportunity to publicly love on their children. The lyrics to this song can do just that!
9) “To Zion” by Lauryn Hill. In short, this is an ode to the real life, real love, and a real deal sometimes unexpected revelation of motherhood.
10) “You Are My Friend” by Patti LaBelle. It is a beautiful thing when a parent-child relationship transforms into one of pure adoration and friendship. We think this song wonderfully speaks to that evolution.
This blog content was written by Davia Crutchfield (@Dr.DaviaJnl) of BL&CK (@visitandblack).
Hey hey, I'm Brittney! Wife, mother, and wedding designer. HGTV and Say Yes to the Dress fanatic. :) JoAnna Gaines, if you're reading this … hey girl! I love all things fashion, wedding, and home décor.