On the heels of Father’s Day it is only befitting we continue our #ForTheCulture series with the beloved Father/Daughter Dance song list. The precious relationship fathers and father figures have with their daughters and daughter figures is unlike any other bond. We salute Dads who cherish their daughters’ hearts by being the stand up, stand out men they are. This Father’s Day and every day we say “Thank you and we love you!”
Disclaimer: We do not own the rights to any songs posted or any videos shared.
1. “Your Joy” by Chrisette Michele. Warning: this song is a tear-jerker! We all know how Chrisette Michele has a way of bringing you to chorus (shout out to Ms. Funky Dineva Ross). “Nevatheless!” This song right here will have the room in their feelings so have tissue boxes nearby.
2. “Daddy” by Beyoncé. Queen Beyoncé’s lyrical stroll down memory lane, and adoration for her father is as delightful as the song’s melody.
3. “Hero” by Mariah Carey. It happened didn’t it? You read the title and immediately sung the song in your head? You’re in good company *raises hand*. This is one of those songs where you automatically close your eyes and sing aloud. MMMPH! That’s good right there!
4. “Isn’t She Lovely” by Stevie Wonder. GET. YOUR. TWO-STEP. ON with this timeless jam! If you and your Dad love a good hand-dance, line-dance, or choreographed number, this is the song to pick!
5. “Joy” by BLACKstreet. I’m going back to the 90’s…want anything? BLACKstreet sung one of the most beautiful songs about the transformative power of love. Then, as if that wasn’t enough, these gents topped it off with their daughters in the video! MAGICAL!
6. “I’ll Be There” by The Jackson 5. Little girls grow into women. As we transition into this space it never negates a daughter’s need for her father. Yes, we grow, becoming adults ourselves. In that, we still need our Dads. These lyrics are so applicable as we hope our fathers stay near by as we transition through the many phases in life. It makes us glad to know that if life becomes too heavy and the road unpredictable our fathers’ love, guidance and protection are not far away.
7. "You Are the Sunshine of My Life" by Stevie Wonder. Similarly to the Jackson 5 song, this one gives “growing up or transitioned relationship” vibes. It’s sweet. It’s sincere. It’s layered. It’s Stevie Wonder!
8. "My Girl" by The Temptations. An all-star Father/Daughter Dance song, “My Girl” raises more than thoughts of Vada Sultenfuss, her mood ring and Thomas J.
We conclude this list with two duets. These two songs respectively stand the test of time as iconic melodies, and instant nostalgia. Our #9 and #10:
9. “Unforgettable” by Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole.
10. “Wind Beneath My Wings” by Eddie & Gerald LeVert.
Be sure to tell us how you’ve enjoyed this series on the @DetailedDaysEventDesign’s Instagram page using #ForTheCulture. Don’t forget to leave your favorite songs from the list! Stay tuned for next week’s list ... you guessed it - the best Mother/Son dance songs.
This blog content was written by Davia Crutchfield (@Dr.DaviaJnl) of BL&CK (@visitandblack).
Hey hey, I'm Brittney! Wife, mother, ministry leader, designer. HGTV and Say Yes to the Dress fanatic. :) JoAnna Gaines, if you're reading this … hey girl! I love all things fashion, wedding, and home décor.